Monday, April 15, 2013

What's On @ the Movies 2013 - Olympus Has Fallen


Why with such high expectations comes such rubbish? That's how I felt as I left the cinema tonight and usually I would sleep on what to write away about the latest film I saw but it is time to let my acid tongue rip. So one this movie couldn't have come out at a better time with tension in Korea at fever pitch and two if after visiting America earlier this year I didn't think the country had issues after seeing this I now definitely know why more and more people are turning their backs on America.

With America and Korea for me it's like Iraq all over again, go on invade another country waste ten years and claim victory. Make the rest of the world live on McDonalds and think Modern Family is actually cutting edge comedy.

Oh boy I could rant all night, even American's I know think the country is in serious trouble. With high unemployment, lunatics with rifles and a homeless problems that would take years of fighting, the country may as well give up and start from scratch. So to the movie, it starts off great and I really got into until the pro America bullshit started. It almost started a fight in the cinema I was in with people laughing at the American flag being destroyed and laughing at the White House falling. Yes gone are the John Howard years of Australia loving the USA.

Don't get me wrong I love me some HBO, Showtime and Vampire Weekend but when it comes to everyday run of the American bible belt America I think the world would be better off if they kept this to themselves. So with a horrid ending and Gerard Butler most likely not the first choice for this role. He was good but really? He ain't even American. Aaron Eckhart was fine, Angela Bassett good but the real stand out for me was Dylan McDermott (as SPOILER AMERT - a double crossing Korean loving American LOL!) thank god for American Horror Story too, Ryan Murphy can you become Aussie?

So really without giving too much away, it's an action film, it's pro America and it's beyond a joke during the final scenes. Really this is nowhere near as good as action heavyweights of recent times The Avengers, Dark Knight & Dark Knight Rises. For all the media about the Korean struggles this is just kinda lame, 1 Star.

No comments: