Friday, May 3, 2013

Triple Treat Thursday


Theatre, Comedy and Music all in this BUMPER review of Thursday May 2nd 2013.

First up THEATRE: A Clockwork Orange


So what happens when an overly gay production of a classic cult film takes the stage? Basically there was a moment while I was watching this and I decided I really prefer live music, comedy or film, this questioned my ability to sit through a 90 minute one act piece.

It has had great reviews, the mostly schools performance I saw seemed to enjoy it but for me it was lacking something, the dance pieces to classic indie songs like "Standing in the Way of Control" by the Gossip and The Scissor Sisters awesome cover of "Comfortably Numb".

The more of these songs coming over the top of the production the more of a red hot mess it became. The characters and supporting characters to the main Alex were so camp it was hard to believe that a man was upset to be raped when he was shimming around not two minutes earlier.  Maybe it's just I am not high brow enough but I know this was definitely not my cup of tea and with a few hours to spare it was off to Ronny Chieng.

COMEDY: Ronny Chieng - Can You Do This, No You Can't


Ronny Chieng is great his last show I saw at the Comedy Store was so much fun, he seems to have a lot of anger but then seeing him off stage he was totally shy and adorable. But I can't give that away you need to experience this for yourself.

And you must see Ronny Chieng, he is set for big things and he continues to build his following. I think personally he was has wide appeal, he gets in the Chinese, the young Uni crowd, the crowd that enjoys listening to a well educated dude. And to be honest he doesn't just use swears for a laugh.

His new show is well presented and in my mind should have been in a bigger venue, this dude seems to be building a loyal fan-base and I am sure he will be back in a bigger space next time.

Ronny has the goods and he also tells a damn good story and I truly think he is one of Australia's next greatest comedians.

MUSIC: Tame Impala - The Hordern Pavilion


Oh the stoners and hipsters were out in force and so was the weed trade. During one song I kid you not this massive puff of smoke went up in the air and I almost got stoned just at the sigh and smell. I think if there were drug sniffers dogs there they would have earn their keep for like the next six months.

The crowd was mostly trendy and clearly loved the fact Triple J continue to crown them Australian Albums of the Year.  Don't get me wrong their last album "Lonerism" was great, it had some great tracks on it, and seeing these live was a real treat.

Their seemed to be some technically issues going on but the band from Perth powered through and delivered some awesome garage rock that makes these guys famous across the world.  Tame Impala have played festivals across the globe and they always deliver a strong performance back home.  They played their hits "Elephant" & "Feel Like We Only Go Backwards" back to back. Very impressive, they also played my personal favourite "Solitude is Bliss" from their debut "Innerspeaker" early on to.

I left mid set as all the entertainment in one day was a little too much and it was cold and by looking at the set list other than "Mind Mischief" I caught all my favourites.

I will post a more comprehensive review of the gig over HERE


Until tomorrow, will we will look t my other favourite art form, Film, so BOOKMARK now!

No comments: