Sunday, July 6, 2014

Film Freak 2014 - Jersey Boys


I really wanted to like this but and it's a HUGE but. I saw this on the stage at both Melbourne's Princess Theatre and also in Sydney at the Theatre Royal (AKA the theatre where you hear the trains) and enjoyed it, because it was more of a play with a couple of songs and not your usual run of the mill musical.

The movie however felt like it took forever to get anywhere, the first hour was like "is it interval yet?". It dragged like a mother fucker. I heard it was long but man o man was it long.

I don't usually like musicals on the big screen (Dreamgirls, oh the travesty) but this wasn't in that cringe worthy bucket.


So it's an interesting story but most of us know it and I don't think Clint Eastwood really told the story and made the audience feel the joy this music once brought to the baby boomers of the world.

The ending was a relief as after over 2 hours you just felt like if you saw the musical this was proof in point live entertainment (musicals/concerts) should just stay that live and not recorded.

I have rarely watched a concert on DVD or TV and this has made me make this on my never to do list. This lost a lot on the big screen but I must say it did have well done moments. Moments, not two long hours worth.

Will this be a hit film? I think it's July School Holidays release is a little strange but I think it will have moderate success in this country.

So Jersey Boys how does it rate? Best head along to Lion King or Strictly Ballroom the Musicals live to get a better bang for your buck, this rate 2 stars. 2 mainly for the musical numbers and the almost attractive lead.

No comments: